Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fights, Draft, & Fun

I'm happy to say that I'll have more free time even though I'm not thrilled about it. Last week was a rough week which is why I couldn't go two editions of The Uncommon One blog. I had to drop a class last week which really frustrates me. I hate quitting on things which is a rarity and I've always hated quitters. It was just to make sure my G.P.A doesn't totally drop because my math teacher and I just didn't co-exist well. He is Indian and doesn't speak English very well with the class being at 8 in the morning. It was just a bad situation and I didn't want a D to destroy my really good semester so far. It still bothers me though because I really pride myself on not quitting unless it's truly the right decision to do. So that got me upset and I had to go out that Thursday night to calm down so things just change like that.

Anyway the topics for today are mostly sports related. Many things are going on but I'll still mix it up. The big story was Rashad Evans versus Jon Jones which will be discussed. The NFL draft is coming up on Thursday night and I have my mock draft ready to go. My Falcons aren't picking until the 2nd round but that doesn't stop me from picking. Now people may remember me saying that I don't watch college football but that doesn't mean I don't read and watch film. I'm always reading reports and catching videos on NFL.com on top prospects so I think my predictions should be pretty accurate for teams. That will all be at the end, let's get started.

Best Man 
The recent major thing happening in my life is my brother getting married. I'm not going to get too personal about it because I always respect people's privacy that I care about. If you read my book, I don't seem too kind about people's privacy that I don't like. This isn't about my book though and I should stop shameless plugging that (e-mail me if you want to, never mind). Anyway its still surreal to me that my brother is getting married which sounds pretty lame. It just seemed like yesterday that we were talking about what time we were taking free kicks at Kessina Park on Saturday. Now I'm lucky to see him twice a month because things are so hectic. My brother and I have the odd relationship from the usual brother- brother or sister- sister or vice versa. We usually get along always because we know how to connect with people. I'm grateful for him because he has tried to keep me as much as possible away from wedding planning. I'm always there for him but he knows their certain things that I really don't care about. That being said, I take the best man with complete responsibility because this is once in a life time and my brother has taught me so much. I'm taking roles to do a speech and to do a reading at a church ceremony. It's the little things like that I don't mind because I don't mind talking and it's not like I have to talk to some random old person. I'm pretty excited but if you follow me on twitter (I don't plug till it ends), I just want this over with because I'm always getting questions when I don't know anything. People would ask me about what's going on in the wedding and since my brother is keeping me out of most things, I don't have a clue. I'm not even positive where the ceremony is being at other than it's in Long Island so that's pretty bad. 

The bachelor party was last night and it was so much fun. My brother is even more laid back than me so their weren't no strippers or guys sniffing lines off a sink. It was just a normal night going out to eat then catching the huge fight with lots of alcohol. That sounds good to me because Jon Jones vs Rashad Evans is a fight that seems to be larger than life. I wanted to do a nice preview for that but didn't have the time for that. Anyway the bachelor party was cool and it made me feel honored to do the cheers with my brothers. I used to watch so much TV so I would be like seven years old watching shows where they're doing cheers and toasts for wedding like the OC. I had no idea that was going to be me one day although I didn't wear some four hundred dollar suit at a bachelor party. A nice black t-shirt and jeans because were simple people but with complex minds. This is my second wedding ever and the first one was really lame. It was my cousin's and I was fifteen but at the time, I just stopped smoking but it was still a weird time for me. It was like early September where I'm still just looking around like I don't have a clue what's going on in my life. This time I'm walking in pretty positive minus a few other issues so at least this will be an upgrade. I'm not sure what to expect from this wedding other than nice diverse population with Portuguese and Croatian people all around. I'm just hoping to not get the million dollar dreaded question of "what do you want to do with your life" by someone because half hour rants about what I want to do isn't usually the right time during wedding. I get pissed off a bit too easily, now you know why I drink. I'm not going to do a full recap of the wedding but I'll do something small like this. It will be on May 12th and I'm looking forward to do a speech. Hopefully I get to use a famous promo line from someone like a Stone Cold or Chris Jericho that make people so confused because nothing is more funnier than old Croatians being clueless. I'm always good for four jokes and some obscure reference during any speech that I do. That's what I'm mostly looking forward to and of course talking to family members my age that I haven't seen in ages mainly because they live upstate and area always busy. That will be cool but other than that, nothing else really jumps out at me. Alright I'm bored talking about wedding things, I love my brother to death and I can't wait to do my speech along with seeing people. Other than that, wedding doesn't really get me all jumpy. Now time to talk violence.

Battle Of Icons
Even though it was a weak card, I thought UFC 145 delivered. I went one for two in predictions of major breakout of the night. Rory McDonald continues to impress and blaze through the competition while Brendan Schaub continues to disappoint. McDonald overpowered Cae Mills with ease which led to a 2nd round knock out. With George St.Pierre becoming a trainer for McDonald, the future seems bright for the 22 year old Canadian. Even though he looks like he's 17, he's going to be a major contender for years to come. Brendan Schaub on the other hand disappointed in a major way to continue his inconsistent career. He has some great moments like when he knocked out Mirko Cro Cop (they showed that clip five times those UFC production jerks, way to rub it in the Croatians face). My brother was overly excited seeing Schaub get knocked out by Ben Rothwell in the first round. Schaub was going for the knockout early and ended up flat on his face. It was pretty disappointing because Brendan had so much fire power in his fists but he's very clumsy which cost him once again. Thank god for the six pitchers of beer on the table because many fights were one sided.

A very sight for hardcore Rashad fans like myself.

The main event was here with my favorite of all time in Rashad Evans against someone that I'm really starting to really like in Jon Jones. I actually have a Jon Jones shirt because I have so much respect for him but no way was I wearing it. I've been a Rashad fan ever since he knocked Chuck Liddell into obscurity. It was pretty clear though once Rashad couldn't take down Jon that it was going to be a long night for Rashad. He got a few nice shots in on Jones in a close round, but it seems like the fight was over after Rashad taunted jones. The taunting was funny but Jones had enough and really started to hammer Evans badly. The tactics were smart by Jones by using his hands to pretend to actually wrestle with Evans then he quickly would go for the jabs. Jones take down defense was tested in 3rd round and he didn't get caught once. It was another dominant display by Jones in his third title defense. The one thing that Jones never got going were his back fists. Jones made a highlight reel off his signature back fist but it never fully connected with Evans well scouting it. He still had success though with some nice combinations with his fists then connected with a knee a few times. Evans did last all five rounds that made him the first person not to get knocked out or submitted by Jones during his title run but he seemed very disappointed. Jones easily won by decision which will continue to make people wonder if he should make the jump to heavyweight. With not much competition left and dominating most of the star power, it seems like the right move for him would to go to heavyweight. With Dan Henderson next and possibly some up and comers like Alexander Gufstasson, their may be not much left for Jones to deal with. The UFC already has one division with a dominant champion in Anderson Silva so the last thing that they need is Jon Jones starting to become an unbeatable king in the octagon. I look forward to see what Den Henderson can bring to the table because he's one of the last guys left that are truly a star. Overall this was a fun fight but it seemed that Rashad was pretty fatigued by the third round and knew that he didn't have a chance going strike for strike with Jones. I got to give it up to Jones though because for a guy that's so strong at striking, he's so discipline and you have to applaud him.

Mock NFL Draft
With the draft happening on Thursday, I've decided to do a mock draft. I've put a lot of time to do research and see clips of what to think of guys. It also helps that I know every team's need so that really helps. The mock draft is for a contest for FalcFans.com which is the best site for Falcon talk. Here's the link if you want to check it out but here's the mock draft link.


The huge complex of craziness.

 1 IND Andrew Luck- They need a franchise quarterback.
 2. WAS Robert Griffin- Read above.
 3. MIN Matt Kalil- They do have some pressing needs but they need the blindside of Christian Ponder protected. Receivers are easier to find than left tackles.
4 CLE Trent Richardson- Since Holngerm doesn't like to pick receivers early, he won't pass on this great talent.
5 TB Morris Claiborne- Talib looks finished, Barber won't last another season, and Eric Wright is inconsistent. I could be wrong here though since Caliborne is a bit unstable.
6 STL Justin Blackmon- They can't pass on him. Rams do have pressing needs but Blackmon could be a huge star.
7 JAC Melvin Ingram- They need more pass rush which has been said for the past four years it seems like. At least Mincey is starting to pick it up.
8 MIA Ryan Tannehill- Matt Moore was decent last year when he came in, but he's not a franchise quarterback.
9 CAR Fletcher Cox- Carolina was the worst run defense in the league last year. They need to add someone desperately to get their defensive up to par with their offense.
10 BUF Riley Reiff- This is an easy pick since the Bills always have offensive line problems and they just lost Bell. A left tackle is a must here.
11 KC Michael Floyd- This is a stretch here because Kansas City have other pressing needs. Floyd is too good to pass up here and he brings some much needed explosion to the offense.
12 SEA Luke Kuechly- One of the most complete players in the draft. He may go higher but just don't see needs for MLBs. Seattle needs one here so this is a no brainer.
13 ARI David DeCastro-I know guards aren't usually picked high but DeCastro is considered to be a top prospect. Arizona could use a few other parts but guard will be worth it.
14 DAL Mark Barron- I can't remember the last time Dallas didn't have safety problems. Safety is a must pick here & I hear Dallas writers are raving about him. This should be a lock if available.
15 PHI Dontari Poe- This is a bit of a risk but he has too much upside to drop anymore. Eagles had problems stopping the run and they'll take a chance here like they always do.
16 NYJ Chandler Jones- Jets have needed a pass rusher for years now and finally get a first rounder. They seem high on Jones although I'm not too sure about him.
17 CIN Stephen Gilmore- With the loss of Leon Hall, cornerback becomes a need and Gilmore could do the trick. He has some off the field issues, but hey it's the Bengals right.
18 SD Courtney Upshaw- San Diego is another team that struggles to get to the passer but they could go with a cornerback here. I'm not sure what to expect here, they are random.
19 CHI Quinton Coples- Another risky pick here but Bears are pretty aggressive. Plus they are looking for Peppers counterpart on the other side and this could do the trick.
20 TEN Michael Brockers- Titans need some major muscle on their defensive line but they could go d-tackle or d-end here. They signed Wimberly and hope Derrick Morgan can break out so I'll go with d-tackle here.
21 CIN Cordy Glenn- Benglas have a solid offensive line but they do have a big hole now that long time guard Bobbie Williams is gone. They could go at d-end here but Glenn is at perfect value here.
22 CLE Mike Adams- With Richardson coming in, they need to improve the o-line mainly on the right side. Adams or Jonathan Martin was a toss up here but Adams is getting more looked at apparently by Cleveland.
23 DET Dre Kirkpatrick- After how poorly that secondary played in the 2nd half of the season, they need massive help. Kirkpatrick has some issues off the field, but he fits well covering up the loss of Eric Wright.
24 PIT Dont'a Hightower- Steelers love taking defensive players or offensive lineman. I'll go with a defensive player and it will be to replace James Farrior. Hightower and Timmons as a long time duo could be gold.
25 DEN Jerel Worthy- This is a reach but the Broncos need help on the d-line at all costs. They have little quality with mostly backups on the front line. Worthy could bring something to the table.
26 HOU Kendall Wright- Texans need a 2nd receiver because Kevin Walter simply doesn't cut it anymore. Wright is a big time long threat that could create several mis matches.
27 NE Shea McClellin- Pats don't have many holes but they could really use a pass rusher. Patriots may trade one of these picks but regardless they need a pass rusher.
28 GB Whtiney Mercilus- He may go in the top 20 but he could fall this low. Packers are in need of pass rushers as well (I've been saying that far too often with teams). What happened to hitting the QB?
29 BAL Coby Fleener- This pick is a bit out of nowhere but Ravens could use a tight end. They haven't had a good one since Todd Heap and Flacco needs all the help he could get.
30 SF Stephen Hill- The overload of receivers continue since that was the only thing really holding the Niners back in beating the Giants last year (catching punt returns would have been nice too).
31 NE Harrison Smith- I don't know if they are keeping this pick, but if they are safety would be smart here. Smith is a bit of a reach but the safety play was horrendous last year for the Pats.
32 NYG Jonathan Martin- Giants have a leaky offensive line and should pick Martin here despite a poor season by him. They could go in a couple directions here but tackle sounds right.

I'm not going crazy over the draft since the Falcons don't have a first round pick. I'll still follow it though and possibly something happens with a trade. A few rumors came out today that Asante Samuel could possibly coming to Atlanta which would be a huge move. I'm not sure how he fits because Brent Grimes just signed a huge franchise deal for the Falcons that will make him sign a huge contract. They also still have Dunta Robinson so it will come down to if the Falcons want three big time corner backs (well two because even as a Dunta Robinson supporter, he has shown that he's not really big time unless it involves drilling people in the head). That's the only big news for me headed into the draft but I'll be tracking it to see how I do with the predictions. I bet I do better than Matt Millen!

YES!

Final Word & Plugs
The last thing I'll say before I take off will be the huge NBA playoff preview/predictions edition that will be up Friday. I'm going to start working on it tonight actually because I see a few playoff matches that are already locked in. I'll make sure it's up by Friday regardless what happens to me since I've been a bit inconsistent. Stay tuned for that because it will be a great read. The NBA playoffs are always fun and I'm really into it compared to regular season when I lose some interest mostly when football is around and March Madness. Now that no distractions are going on, I'm stoked to see what happens this year. Go Heat!



Twitter: @AllenOutraged

Gmail: AStrk19@gmail.com


Feel free to leave a comment below or contact me on any of those links above.

No comments:

Post a Comment